I went shopping with my mom the other day. She has been working in Cincinnati for five weeks and has two more to go before she can come home. She has come back twice to visit for a day, but this weekend she was home for three days in a row.
So anyway, I was shopping with my mom at the department store in search of a new coat for her for the winter time. When I am not the one who is looking for something, shopping seems arduous and boring. I can't say that was true of this trip with mom though. I got to watch her pick out each jacket that had potentially, and see her face as she scanned it for flaws and imperfections. And then each time she found one that passed her first test, she handed it to me until my arms couldn't hold any more. Then we would drag ourselves over to one of those long mirrors they attach to the poles that hold up the ceiling. Those mirrors always let you think you will have enough room to squeeze in and take a full glance of your appearance, but they never quite have enough room.
Mom squeezed her way in front of the mirror and began to try on coats. It was an interesting thing for me to watch. She would put one on, adjust it a million times, shrug her shoulders, scrunch her nose, and muss her hair up. It just surprised me that she stills tries on clothes the same way that teenage girls do. I don't know why this is the first time I've ever noticed it. I guess I thought that that was an insecurity that everybody just eventually grew out of. I assumed that that was just a part of growing up. I hope that doesn't make me ignorant. But I just thought that someday that part of life would be different.
My mom is beautiful. She is beautiful because she is insecure, loving, thoughtful, and vulnerable with me. She takes my advice on silly things and gives me advice on more important things. God showed me that as I watched her in the mirror this weekend. My mom became real and awkward and cute to me this weekend. It was fun to see her be insecure and to get excited when we found things she loved.
My mom loves the Lord. And I get to see that in her face all the time. I thank You that You show me her beauty in her shyness and her strength in her words. I love her.
2 comments:
this is cool. my mom's name is karen as well. faith, i'd like to be blogspot friends.
http://www.onesentence.org/stories/2674/
Post a Comment